Sunday 5 August 2012

The Olympics

I know, I know, I said my next post would be on more horse colours, and next time it will be, I promise :) but today I had to talk about something else, and that is what everyone's watching on tv at the moment- the Olympics
It started a week ago, so really I should have posted this earlier, but a lot of things were happening including getting sick (I don't think you want to know the details). So half the equestrian has already finished, including the eventing, my favourite part. If you live in Sydney, like I do, its hard for you to watch much of the equestrian because most of it finishes at like 2am. But don't worry! If you have an IPad and Foxtel there is an amazing app I got that is completely free and doesn't use up any of your download! Its called "Foxtel Olympic Coverage" or something like that, and it's what I've been using to watch all the equestrian events. You can catch up on any sports and watch them live from your IPad. I suggest you get it now- it's awesome.
The Germans won the gold medal for both the individual and team eventing, just like the last Olympics and the Olympics before that. German's are amazing riders, everyone, especially Michael Jung on his horse Sam, who won the individual gold medal.He also set a new record as the first ever eventer to hold Olympic, world and European titles all at the same time.
Michael Jung after finishing a clear round of showjumping, picture from http://www.dressage-news.com/
He almost missed out on the prize, though, and if Sara Ostholt hadn't knocked down a pole on her home-bred horse Wega he would have only claimed a silver medal. Sara had come into the individual showjumping in first place after the team showjumping and, before the last fence, had a clear round. It was only a stroke of bad-luck that caused the pole on the last fence to drop, at the same time ruining her chances of winning gold, so she had to settle for silver instead.
You can just see the pole falling out of its cups on the very last jump, picture from http://www.dressage-news.com
 Third place was awarded to the German Sandra Auffarth on her horse Opgun Louvo.
Sandra Auffarth at cross country, picture from http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/
For the team eventing medals, first place went to Germany, second to Great Britain (who had the Queen's granddaughter, Zara Phillips, riding for them) and third to New Zealand.
The medal ceremony, picture from http://www.equestrianlife.com.au/
The eventing was great to watch and if you didn't see it go download that Foxtel app now :) Or watch it on youtube or something because it was amazing.
Next time I promise I'll be posting Horse Colours prt II and after that maybe I'll post something about the different styles of riding.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment